Technical Support Sales Engineer
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with proven presentation skills and demonstrated effective sales methods. As a Technical Support Sales Engineer, you will be supporting the National Sales Managers’ efforts through technical training, developing technical documentation and assisting with customer needs. You will build excellent client relationships and drive sales results. Using your technical sales expertise to help our customers realize their business goals with product solutions you’re proud to deliver. This position works very closely and supports our National Sales Managers.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
(include but are not limited to):
- Learn our full product line and capabilities to become a technical expert in the lighting industry
- Create and/or revise technical support documentation
- Handle customer inquiries regarding technical issues
- Transfer industry, technical, and product knowledge to customers, sales representatives and employees
- Maintain involvement on turnkey projects, demonstrations and other related customer projects to meet deadlines and budgets
- Recommend product modifications to meet application requirements.
- Possess and maintain an in-depth knowledge of emergency lighting industry and product lines offered by the company
- Develop standard presentations, sales support materials and training programs.
- Technical writing to include product specifications for job submittals, product manuals, technical briefs and start-up documentation.
- Provide technical support and training via phone, email and meetings for company products: answer technical inquiries, diagnose reported problems or configuration issues, recommend possible solutions, follow issue through to resolution or escalate if no resolution can be found.
- Prepare and give technical presentations to explain to customers how the products and services work.
- Travel to perform training and customer consultations to determine needs and solutions.
- Attend trade shows, as necessary.
- Assist in the development of formal sales proposals.
- Set-up and operate equipment for customer demonstrations and evaluations.
- Work with the customers and Engineers to ensure the equipment meets the system requirements.
- Communicate with the sales team to understand consumer demands and offer sales support where necessary.
- Establish customer rapport and acceptance.
Required Talents & Qualifications
- BS/BA degree in Engineering or Business or equivalent work experience
- Innovative approach to problem-solving and the ability to thrive in a results-based environment.
- Effective closer
- Mechanical/technical aptitude
- 3+ years of technical sales experience
- Competitive knowledge including solutions, technology and product offerings. Understands and is conversant about company, competitors, technologies, solutions, product strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, good listening and presentation skills.
- Ability to work effectively and add value as a team member.
- Demonstrate basic troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to perform tasks with moderate supervision.
- 30% travel will be expected.
- Previous outside sales experience with manufactured equipment
- Electrical applications (circuitry) or lighting experience
- Able to bend, squat, twist, climb stairs and lift
- While performing the duties of this position the employee is frequently required to walk, sit, stand, talk and hear with occasional bending, stooping, crouching and kneeling.
- Regularly required to use hands to fingers.
- Duties require use of computer software and equipment that involve regularly sitting for extended periods of time and repetitive hand movements.
- Ability to occasionally lift and move objects up to 30 lbs.